Free ground shipping on all US orders
Job Title: Fabric Research & Development Manager – Collection and Star USA
Reports To: Chairman & Chief Creative Officer with a dotted line to the Senior Vice President of Production
Purpose and Scope:
The Fabric R&D Manager will source and develop fabric based on brand identity, trend and price point for John Varvatos Collection and Star USA; key areas of focus are soft jackets, outerwear, bottoms and shirting’s.
• Work with designer to develop and initiate seasonal fabric direction.
• Work closely with merchandising and production to ensure key price points and merchandising seasonal directions are clearly developed per classification.
• Implement all fabric development with mills once approved.
• Work on fabric direction for each delivery.
• Research trends in the market and interpret within price point.
• Meet with fabric vendors to source, develop and select fabrics.
• Travel to various fabric vendors overseas.
• Work with production departments to stay up to date on available product and sources used within the Company.
• Work with suppliers on prices, minimums, surcharges, fabric width, and fabric content.
• Update and maintain fabric database system and related paperwork with required information.
• Request swatches and source sub-proto yardage when necessary.
• Maintain precise and detailed records of all fabric developments and wash developments from initial adoption through to pre- production.
• Approve all lab dips.
• Work with suppliers and production departments on any pre-production quality issues and to resolve bulk production issues.
• Maintain fabric library.
• Regular internal communication with design and production teams to exchange information.
• Manage and mentor Fabric Development Coordinator.
• Must have understanding of men's luxury tailored clothing fabric development.
• Must have understanding of men's sportswear fabric development.
• Strong knowledge in developing fabrics with mills both in Europe and Asia.
• Strong background/knowledge in woven and knit construction and development.
• Comprehension of the JV brand aesthetic and DNA.
• Well-developed communication (written & verbal) and organizational skills.
• Resourceful, hands-on with a sense of urgency.
• Must be very organized and detail oriented.
• Great time management and ability to multi-task.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
Education and Training:
• Knowledge of MS Office, Proficient in Excel. Knowledge of PLM and Photoshop preferred.
• Degree in textile design or technology a plus.
• Minimum 8+ years’ experience with fabric sourcing and development.